Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Reading Notes: Beowulf, Part A

Image result for beowulf
(Siegfried, the hero of the North, and Beowulf, the hero of the Anglo-Saxons (1909): Wikimedia Commons)

I already like this story from the first paragraph. It makes me picture the Spartans from the movie 300.

I like how the warriors have a soft side to them. I feel like a lot of the time we don’t see both sides, but only see their serious side. It makes them more human in my eyes.

The comradery and family vibe everyone gives off is pretty great to see. You can tell how close they all are to each other.

It’s interesting how the race between Beowulf and Breca lasted five days. I can’t even imagine how tough that would have been.

I feel like this is the first time I have read a story where the main character wanted war. It’s kind of funny how Beowulf is sad how he can’t test his strength properly.

The Wanderer’s song is a really pivotal part of the story. I’m assuming this song makes Beowulf want to go defeat Grendel and test his strength. If I retell this part I will need to incorporate something like the Wanderer’ song.

I could possibly make the moment where Beowulf announces he’s going to defeat Grendel a humorous one since it’s kind of awkward how he does this and the reaction of the everyone else in the room.

I like how they made such a big deal when Beowulf was leaving. However, if I retell this part I might make it to where it’s like a really short farewell ceremony or not have one at all to be funny.

I’m surprised that none of the sea monsters attacked their ship. I would think that maybe some sort of conflict would happen.

For some reason I wish the Guardian of the Beach would have messed with Beowulf. Like maybe telling him he has to pay a certain fee or solve a riddle, but then telling him that he’s just messing around.

I like how desolate and ominous the forest is. It really sets the scene and I could picture it. It’s like something from a zombie apocalypse type movie.

It’s sad how the Danes can’t enjoy the banquet since they haven’t had anything to celebrate in twelve years.

I’m really curious to see Beowulf’s reaction to Unferth calling him out. I would be pretty mad if I were Beowulf because this guy is trying to embarrass him in front of everybody. 

I love Beowulf's response. It really puts Unferth in his place which is great because he is a very unlikable character.

Bibliography: The Story of Beowulf by Strafford Riggs, with illustrations by Henry Pitz (1933).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tech Tip: Canvas Profile

I changed my display name in Canvas because I do not go by my first name. I chose the picture I did for my avatar because it is one of the o...