Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Reading Notes: Beowulf, Part B

Image result for beowulf dragon
(Stories of Beowulf Slave Stealing Golden Cup: Wikimedia Commons)

I like how the story sets up Grendel’s first appearance. It’s so ominous and eerie which makes me want to know what happens even more. I also didn’t know that Grendel could cast spells which is a nice surprise because it makes him an even bigger threat for Beowulf.

It must have been terrifying for Beowulf watching Grendel eat one of his friends. The spell made it to where Beowulf was kind of frozen which couldn’t have made matters any better.

I like how the epic fight between Beowulf and Grendel was in silence and had no witnesses. It would be funny if Beowulf declared he had Grendel’s arm, but the others didn’t believe him or something.

I knew that the king and queen praising Beowulf was going to jinx everything. Nothing ever goes well when characters celebrate too early.

It’s good to see that Unferth had a change of heart and gives Beowulf his sword.

Beowulf has to be one of the bravest people alive to go into that lake alone. I like much respect everyone has for him because normally they would try to stop a person from doing this.


I love how the Beowulf had to basically get lucky in order to beat Grendel’s mother. I was expecting Beowulf to just somehow find strength and defeat her, but the tiniest moment of relaxation from his mother gave Beowulf an opening.

I don’t like how the Danes left because they lost hope of seeing Beowulf again. I would’ve been a little mad about that if I were Beowulf.

It is fitting that Beowulf became king. I don’t think anyone else deserves it more than him.

I like how even though Beowulf almost died he still wants to have another adventure like that.

I honesty expected Beowulf to be like okay guys I can do this on my own don’t worry. I thought it would be similar to when he fought Grendel’s mother.

Never mind, he does go alone. It’s interesting how Beowulf knows that this will be his last adventure. It’s sad at the same time.

I just realized that all of their swords have names. I think I could make this a humorous aspect in my retelling.

It’s actually really sad how Beowulf dies. His men deserted him, but he forgave them before he died. Beowulf might be my favorite character from all the readings so far. 


Bibliography: The Story of Beowulf by Strafford Riggs, with illustrations by Henry Pitz (1933).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tech Tip: Canvas Profile

I changed my display name in Canvas because I do not go by my first name. I chose the picture I did for my avatar because it is one of the o...