Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Reading Notes: King Arthur, Part A

Image result for king arthur
(King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table: Wikimedia Commons)

I like the idea of having basically a competition to see who can be the King. I could have fun with this simple concept and modernize it.

The fact that Arthur nonchalantly takes the sword out of the stone is great. He didn’t even know the implications of what he was doing. It also shows Arthur’s character when he doesn’t like how his father and brother kneeled before him. He seems like a humble person.

The scene where Merlin tells Arthur his future is really interesting. He says it so confidently that you don’t doubt him. Now I am wondering how it will happen since Arthur knows his fate and might try to change.

I didn’t know how much Merlin helped Arthur. I’m familiar with this story, but I thought Merlin was just a wizard and he’s basically acting like Arthur’s guardian angel.

I really like the part where Merlin tells Arthur he has to ask the Lady of the Lake nicely for the sword. It’s seriously like Merlin is his dad who is looking out for Arthur.

I like the origin story of how Arthur got the Round Table. I didn’t know the background of the Round Table before this. I also like the part where he makes Tor a knight. Tor wanting to be a knight reminds me of the movie A Knight’s Tale which I could retell.

I feel really bad for Merlin because he loves this woman, but she uses him and makes fun of him. It’s strange to me how he doesn’t have the willpower to say no to her though. It’s messed up how Vivien uses the magic that Merlin taught her to bury him.

I think Morgan le Fay goes overreacts by trying to kill Arthur. I understand that he killed the man she loved, but it’s still her brother and he was protecting their kingdom. I like how the Lady of the Lake saves him from the enchanted mantle.

I wish it would have been explained how the squire actually got stabbed. Was it a dream or did those events actually happen in reality?

I’m curious as to why Arthur couldn’t just stop the knights from leaving. I would think that he has more power over them then to just let them leave and neglect their duties. 

Bibliography: King Arthur: Tales of the Round Table by Andrew Lang, illustrated by H. J. Ford (1902).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tech Tip: Canvas Profile

I changed my display name in Canvas because I do not go by my first name. I chose the picture I did for my avatar because it is one of the o...