Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Reading Notes: Ramayana Part A

Image result for ramayana
(Painted cloth depicting a scene from the Ramayana: Wikimedia Commons)

There have been some words that I don’t know and names I can’t remember in this story. In my retelling, I will most likely keep it simpler as to not confuse the reader.

I like how they explained the city, but I think it would be interesting to completely change it and make it into a wasteland.

Instead of a horse sacrifice, there could be something funny or bizarre that has to be done because I am not a fan of the sacrificial ceremonies.

It is interesting how Ravana can be beat by men and apes. In my retelling, I will probably replace apes with something completely different.

I like how they went through so much trouble to figure out why Rama was crying. It was funny how it ended up being such an easy fix.

If I retell this part, I will focus more on the Rama’s education in combat, archery, and other areas like that because I feel like that would be the most interesting to talk about.

The scene where Rama gets celestial weapons is awesome and I will try to incorporate that in my retelling by making the weapons more high-tech and modern.

I like the idea of the unbreakable bow, but I would like to make it a different weapon. Also, it would be funny if Rama struggled at first and then was able to break it after several attempts.

I really don’t like how Manthara was able to manipulate Kaikeyi. I usually do not like when stories have these kinds of people in them, so I will most likely not retell this part or completely change it. I would have Dasaratha just let her drink the poison or trick her in some way where she does not get her way.

I would probably have Rama call upon his celestial weapons and threaten Kaikeyi with them after she tells him what she has his father to do.

I like how Sita and Lakshmana are willing to go into exile with Rama. It shows how great of a person Rama is if people are willing to sacrifice their own lives just to be with him.

The scene that describes how Dasaratha was cursed is extremely emotional. The parents of the boy he killed cried out for him and said a lot of things that are depressing to read, but it made it a powerful and memorable part of the story.

I really like the fact that Bharata wasn’t evil like his mother. It is nice to see that he didn’t accept the throne and wanted Rama to have it.

At first, I didn’t like how Rama wasn’t going to go back to the city because I thought it was a matter a pride. However, he made good points as to why he has to stay in the jungle and I will keep that ending in the retelling

Bibliography: Ramayana by Donald A. Mackenzie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tech Tip: Canvas Profile

I changed my display name in Canvas because I do not go by my first name. I chose the picture I did for my avatar because it is one of the o...