Sunday, September 10, 2017

Feedback Strategies

Presence, Not Praise: How To Cultivate a Healthy Relationship with Achievement: I found this article to be interesting because it is straight to the point when calling out the culture of praise our society has created. I agree with the idea that praise can basically make people complacent because if you do something and get praised for it then there really isn't a point in trying to do a better job since you already got results. I found this to be true with myself in high school and in my first years in college. If I wrote a paper and got a good grade on it with a comment saying "Good job!" or something like that I would just try to get the exact same quality on the next paper even if it wasn't the best quality. I also agree that being present is much more effective. When I played football in high school, our coaches would be present when giving feedback especially when we watched film. It allowed all of us to learn and grow as players instead of getting big egos from getting constant praise.

The Difference Between Praise and Feedback: I feel that this article shares the same theme as the previous one I talked about above. It is basically saying that we need to be present instead of praising which can have negative consequences. I found it interesting how Deci disagreed with Dweck and her methods, but I think Dweck defended her position on the subject well. I also agree that parents will always praise their kids no matter what. I don't have any kids right now, but if I do I feel like it will be hard to not praise them if they do something I am proud of them for. However, being present instead of praising is something I want to start working on.

Image result for good feedback
(Sticky Note - Good Job: NOGRAN s.r.o, Flickr)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tech Tip: Canvas Profile

I changed my display name in Canvas because I do not go by my first name. I chose the picture I did for my avatar because it is one of the o...