Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Reading Notes: The Voyages of Sindbad, Part B

Image result for sindbad
(Sindbad Plots Against the Giant by Maxfield Parrish: Wikimedia Commons)

I like how Sindbad just decides to build his own ship and travel even though he has gone through so many terrible experiences already.

Whenever their ship gets destroyed by the Rocs, I think it would be funny to see everyone freaking while Sindbad is calmly floating with his driftwood because he has been through this scenario plenty of times.

It was extremely weird reading the part about the old man that forces Sindbad to carry him around. However, it is actually a pretty funny scene which I could use in my retelling.

My favorite part so far of this entire unit is when they throw rocks at the monkeys because they know they will get mad and start throwing coconuts at them. I can just picture this happening and someone next to Sindbad saying, “Watch this,” as he throws the rocks at the monkeys.

Whenever Sindbad the crew get shipwrecked this time I would like to change it to where he is like on a phone or something while the captain and everyone else is freaking out. They see Sindbad on his phone playing a game or something and he just looks up and says that he’s bored and he’s been through more exciting adventures.

It would be funny if the people of Serendib prank Sindbad once they realize he’s harmless. They hear him speaking in Arabic to himself and they decide to pretend like they’re savages or something to scare him. They let this prank go on for awhile and then reward Sindbad with treasure for being a good sport.

It seems as though Sindbad really does not want to go back to see. I’ll change it to where he secretly does and puts up kind of a fight against the Caliph’s wishes. However, he’s secretly excited about going on another adventure.

Everything seems to go fine at first during the first few days. I would like to see Sindbad just constantly looking over his shoulder or something just waiting for something bad to happen since he’s so used to it now.

In my retelling, Sindbad will be relieved when he sees the pirates because it wouldn’t be a voyage for him without something terribly wrong happening. Sindbad will be like, “Oh no, pirates,” but say it in a tone to where you can tell he’s not scared.

I found it interesting how the elephants decided not to kill Sindbad. In fact, they showed him where an abundance of ivory was even though he had killed so many elephants.


Sindbad’s whole story kind of made me think of the movie “Groundhog Day” because he’s sort of reliving the same day over and over again, but with different adventures. I could possibly incorporate something like that into my version of the story. 

Bibliography: The Voyages of Sindbad by by Andrew Lang, illustrated by H. J. Ford (1898).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tech Tip: Canvas Profile

I changed my display name in Canvas because I do not go by my first name. I chose the picture I did for my avatar because it is one of the o...