Monday, September 25, 2017

Reading Notes: The Voyages of Sindbad, Part A

(Sinbad's third voyage. Encounter with a man-eating giant: Wikipedia)

It is interesting to me how Sindbad was able to see that he was managing his money poorly because I feel like a lot of people do not realize that until it is way too late.

It’s crazy how everyone mistook a whale as an island. I think I could retell this part to have someone question the legitimacy of the island before a huge group of them get on it.

Sindbad being stranded in the ocean and luckily getting on shore to an island reminds me of the movie “Castaway.” I will probably have Tom Hanks as the main character in my retelling.

I think it would be funny if Sindbad had to something outrageous or tell a secret that was only between him and the captain before the captain believed it was him.

I like how Sindbad ended up better off getting thrown off the whale and landing on that island. In my retelling, I will talk more about the stuff that he bought when he got home and will include expensive items that are just unnecessary.

When Sindbad said he was bored, I imagined him doing really mundane activities and I found it comical for some reason because of his earlier story.

It would be funny if the merchants Sindbad was traveling with were pranking him when he thought they had left him. They are hiding and watching him freak out, but then he gets a ride from that huge bird and they realize that they made a terrible mistake.

The snakes around the diamonds made me think of Indiana Jones because of his travels and his fear of snakes. I could incorporate some aspects of those movies into my version of this story.

The way the merchants got diamonds by throwing meat so that the birds would get it is so bizarre, but I love every part of it.

Sindbad seems really calm when the bird is coming to pick him up. I will change this and have him thinking or saying stuff that will show how scared he is.

Once again, I love how he came out rich by going through some terrible events.

Although they were savages, I don’t like how easily the dwarfs took control over Sindbad and his fellow travelers. I think it would be better if the dwarfs thought they were stronger, but Sindbad and the rest of the crew easily handled them.

I will retell it as if Sindbad and the rest meant to land on the island with the giant on it without having any clue what was on the island.

It would be funny if Sindbad was like, “Don’t worry guys, I read this in the Odyssey,” and devised a plan like Odysseus to escape the giants.

It’s hilarious how he met up with the crew of his second voyage which had left him stranded. It would be funny if Sindbad had acknowledged that this had happened to him before.

This part took an unexpected turn and I did not think Sindbad was going to kill people for their provisions. I will probably try to retell this in a lighter way.


Bibliography: The Voyages of Sindbad by by Andrew Lang, illustrated by H. J. Ford (1898).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tech Tip: Canvas Profile

I changed my display name in Canvas because I do not go by my first name. I chose the picture I did for my avatar because it is one of the o...