Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Reading Notes: Japanese Mythology, Part A

Image result for japanese mythology
(The Great Wave at Kanagawa, Carved by Hokusai: Wikipedia)

I think it’s interesting the way this story told its version of the creation of the world essentially.

It is funny how Izanagi and Izanami introduced themselves to each other twice since Izanagi wanted to be the one that said hi first.

So far, this is an interesting story of creation.

Izanagi leading Amaterasu to the summit of the mountain is kind of like The Lion King.

I love the contrast between Amaterasu and Susa-no-wo.

It is messed up how Izanami was turned on by her own children. However, it is interesting how she gave birth to the God of Fire and then the God of Water to stop the God of Fire from doing harm.

The scene where Izanagi is trying to rescue Izanami is sad because basically both of them know that he can’t save her, but he loves her so much that he is willing to risk his life for her.

I am curious as to why Susa-no-wo attacked Amaterasu because it doesn’t really explain why. I will be clearer in my retelling.

I like how Susa-no-wo used alcohol to defeat the dragon. Also, it is interesting how he did this to get a wife.

I found it kind of funny how Ninigi got to have both daughters of Oho-yama, but told Princess Long-as-the-Rocks to just go back home.

I like the characters of Ho-wori and Ho-deri a lot so I might just retell their part of the story.

It is awesome how they got all the fish out of the sea to question them if they had seen the fish hook.

Overall, the wording, even when read out loud, is making it hard for me to read this story. In my retelling, I will write to where it flows more smoothly so that the reader can enjoy it better. 


Bibliography: Japanese Mythology by E. W. Champney and F. Champney (1917).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tech Tip: Canvas Profile

I changed my display name in Canvas because I do not go by my first name. I chose the picture I did for my avatar because it is one of the o...