Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Reading Notes: The Monkey King, Part A

Image result for donkey kong
(Donkey Kong Country Returns: SobControllers, Flickr)

I think it’s interesting how the ape was born out of stone. It’s a unique origin story kind of like origin stories for super heroes and how they got their powers.

It’s funny how the stone ape immediately accepted the challenge of going through the waterfall. He didn’t hesitate at all and I want to incorporate that courage into one of my characters for my version.

I find it interesting how the stone ape wanted to become immortal and had the presence of mind to be afraid of death.

I don’t really understand why the stone ape had to be violent with the fisherman. I feel as thought this act makes him less likable.

I think it’s funny how blunt the stone ape is. I will try to keep this humor in my retelling.

The training of Sun Wu Kung reminded me of the Karate Kid and other movies like that.

I like how Sun Wu Kung was able to decipher the secret message his master was telling him. It shows how intelligent he is which makes him a more complex character.

I like how the Master played dumb after Sun Wu Kung came to see him. In my retelling I could have the Master take it even further and make Sun Wu Kung feel as though he really messed up.

It’s amazing how Sun Wu Kung now has the ability to fly. This story keeps reminding me of like a Marvel story where it shows how a super hero gets their powers.

The story took a dramatic turn that I was not expecting. The Master was unnecessarily mean to Sun Wu Kung and I feel bad for him because he had to leave.

The fight between the Devil King and Sun Wu Kung is kind of like a big bully that tries to beat up a smaller kid, but the bully doesn’t know that the smaller kid is a black belt in karate.

I feel as though all of this power is going to Sun Wu Kung’s head. At first, he wanted to just be immortal, but now he’s trying to have the strongest army in the world basically.

I don’t like how rude Sun Wu Kung is being to the Dragon King. He is using his power to intimidate others and get them to do things they don’t want to do.


Even in his dreams Sun Wu Kung was in control which is pretty cool. I am a little confused on how he made the apes immortal if he was only dreaming though. 


Bibliography: "The Ape Sun Wu Kung" in The Chinese Fairy Book, ed. by R. Wilhelm and translated by Frederick H. Martens (1921).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tech Tip: Canvas Profile

I changed my display name in Canvas because I do not go by my first name. I chose the picture I did for my avatar because it is one of the o...