Thursday, October 5, 2017

Week 7 Story: Step Brothers 2

Image result for will ferrell
(Will Ferrell 2012: Wikimedia Commons)


UPDATED VERSION ON MY PORTFOLIO: STEP BROTHERS 2

On this episode of VH1’s Behind the Music, we look at the fall and rise of one of the most influential bands in history: Prestige Worldwide. To understand what happened between this legendary duo, we must first go back and look at how it all started.

The lead singer, Brennan Huff, came from humble beginnings. Growing up without a father was tough for Brennan, some will say it was even harder on Brennan’s older brother Derek though. After their parent’s divorce, there was a divide created between Brennan and Derek which stemmed from Derek being jealous of Brennan’s amazing singing voice. However, being the older brother, Derek would discourage Brennan from singing and ruined his self-esteem. It took Brennan his whole life to muster up the courage to perform in front of a live audience, and at the young age of 43 he showed the world his talents with his album The Brennan Huff Experiment.

If you were to ask anyone who the best drummer in the world is, it would be hard to find someone who didn’t say Dale Doback. While his father was busy with his medical practice, young Dale would be furiously beating on his drum set and perfecting his craft. Since Dale had no siblings, he grew attached to his drums because they were the only thing that could make him happy. This attachment caused him to be very territorial with his equipment and has even shown aggression. Dale’s first big break came when Nickelback’s drummer got the flu before a concert and Dale told them he could play the drums. Dale’s success was almost overshadowed when he punched the lead singer of Nickelback, Chad Kroeger, in the face after he attempted to pick up Dale’s drumstick which he had dropped. Although Dale never got to work with Nickelback again, he made a name for himself and the rest is history.

Brennan and Dale were both aware of each other’s musical talents, but they had never met or had the desire to collaborate on anything. This changed when Brennan’s mother and Dale’s father matched each other on Tinder. In two short weeks after the first message, they were saying “I do.” Adam Sandler was supposed to be the wedding singer, but he had a family emergency at the last minute. This is where the music industry changed forever. Brennan and Dale decided to play some songs for the wedding because they didn’t want anything to go wrong on their parents’ special day. They played an improvised song, but that song ended up as the number single in the world for six months straight.

Tune in next week to see where it all went downhill for Prestige Worldwide.  

Author's Note: The original story that this retelling is based on is from the Japanese Mythology unit. More specially, the section, The Fortunate Fish-Hook, is the source material behind this retelling. In this story, we meet two brothers who are descendants of Japanese gods. One of the brothers is a talented hunter who was famous for killing all kinds of animals. The other brother is a talented fisherman who was famous for being able to catch anything in the sea. One day, the brothers decide to switch roles and swap the tools they use. The hunter gave his bow and arrows to his brother while the fisherman gave him his magic fish-hook. The hunter ends up losing the magic fish-hook, and the fisherman gets really upset with him. My version replaces the brothers with characters from the movie Stepbrothers. I show how one of them is a talented singer, while the other is a talented drummer. I go more in depth on the talents the brothers have. Also, I make them step brothers instead of blood brothers. I am also planning on continuing this story in my portfolio and showing how one of the brothers attempts to switch roles like in the original, but the other brother is very against it.

Bibliography: Japanese Mythology by E. W. Champney and F. Champney (1917).

2 comments:

  1. Hey David! First off, I am a huge fan of the movie Step Brothers. You did a great job of creating the original movie into the Japanese tale. I had not read the stories from the Japanese tales so I was not sure how Step Brothers would fit into the class but you did an amazing job of bringing them together. I will have to check out your portfolio to see how you continue the story. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this was so much different from the rest of the stories I’ve read. My favorite part was how the story continues on. I also liked how you incorporated one of your favorite movies into your story. I thought that very unique and different. The flashback concept used worked well for the introduction to your story. It gave me an idea of what I was about to read, and I like having something like that before I start reading.

    ReplyDelete

Tech Tip: Canvas Profile

I changed my display name in Canvas because I do not go by my first name. I chose the picture I did for my avatar because it is one of the o...