Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Reading Notes: The Monkey King, Part B

Image result for buddha
(80 ft Buddha Statue: Wikimedia Commons)

I like how the Evening Star came to Sun Wu’s defense because he knew that maybe the immortality just got his head.

It’s kind of funny how cocky Sun Wu is without even realizing it.

I am starting to dislike Sun Wu because of his arrogance. I want the protagonist in my retelling to be much more likeable and less cocky.

The fight between Sun Wu and Notscha would probably have looked amazing and bizarre. I couldn’t even imagine witnessing something like that where both fighters transform into three headed, six armed, gods.

I like how the Evening Star proposes to just give Sun Wu the empty title because he knows he doesn’t want to be disrespected which is why he lashed out in the first place.

I think Sun Wu is too obsessed with becoming immortal. I could change the obsession in my retelling to make it something more realistic or achievable.

Sun Wu is honestly selfish and I do not really like him. Once again, my character will be much more likable.

Whenever the apes asked Sun Wu to go back to get more wine I thought that he was maybe going to get caught in the act. This could be something I incorporate in my own story.

I feel as though the Lord of the Heavens should have more power. I don’t like how it seems that Sun Wu can do whatever he wants since the Lord of the Heavens should be able to beat him.

Whenever Sun Wu turned into Yang and then Yang confronted him in his temple I thought that there was going to be a classic scene from a movie where someone has to decide who the real Yang is.

 It’s crazy how literally nothing can kill Sun Wu. He is one of the most resilient characters I have ever read about which is admirable.

I find it fitting that Buddha was the one to defeat Sun Wu and he did it without violence. I will keep this aspect in my retelling.


Overall, I was not a fan of Sun Wu as a character. There are instances where an unlikable character can become likable as the story progresses, but this wasn’t one of them. 

Bibliography: "The Ape Sun Wu Kung" in The Chinese Fairy Book, ed. by R. Wilhelm and translated by Frederick H. Martens (1921).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tech Tip: Canvas Profile

I changed my display name in Canvas because I do not go by my first name. I chose the picture I did for my avatar because it is one of the o...